Thursday 17 June 2021

Why do bears Hibernate? - explaination writing

 For the past few weeks, my class have been learning how to write explainations. We were split into two groups for our writing. One of the groups was aiming to include a diagram in their writing so that the diagram could help the reader understand more about the topic they were writing about. The other group was aiming to include a complex sentence in their writing. A complex sentence is when you put a phrase in a sentence, but you can move the phrase somewhere else.

There were lots of topics to choose from, but most people were stuck on their topic so our teacher gave us some suggestions. The topic I chose was, Why do bears hibernate? My teacher said that if you have the same topic as someone else, you could work with them and I just did that. 

I enjoyed writing about Why do bears hibernate? It was quite fun learning and experiencing new stuff on the way. I found researching tricky, because I did not know much about bears. Luckily, I had some guidance from my friend and teacher.

Have you ever done a piece of explanation writing? Tell me in the comments!

Here is my writing:

Why do bears Hibernate?


Introduction

Hibernation is a way when animals, such as bears, conserve energy to survive harsh weather conditions, or lack of food.


Do bears need food or water during hibernation?

Bears generally don’t need to eat or drink during hibernation. Bears rely on a layer of fat built up in Summer and Autumn months prior to hibernation. Waste is produced, but instead of disposing of this waste, bears recycle it. 


Why do bears hibernate?

Bears hibernate so they can survive without food. Bears will rely on their own fat. Imagine surviving on body fat while sleeping for 5~7 months without any food or water!


How long do bears hibernate?

Bears hibernate for a long period of time. They usually hibernation for 5~7 months! They wake up in the Spring when there is more food for them to eat.


Explanation by Camille S



3 comments:

  1. Merhaba Camille,
    I have done lots of expalantion writing but I am fascinated by some of the topics people have chosen this week. I would never have wondered about them before reading them. Were there any others that you thought were interesting?
    Your explanation of why bears hibernate is very clear. You have used a complex sentence. Was it tricky to include one?
    Mā te wā,
    Mrs Naden

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  3. Merhaba Camille
    Kia ora. I am Aimie from St Mary’s School.
    I enjoyed looking at your blog and the wonderful explanation writing.
    I learnt that you were learning to use A complex sentence and it is when you put a phrase in a sentence, but you can move the phrase somewhere else. I loved you Topic Why don’t bears hibernate? It is an amazing topic camille.
    Visit my blog
    here

    Mā te wā
    Aimie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments:
Positive - something done well
Thoughtful - a sentence to let me know that you have read, watched or listened to my blog
Helpful - give some ideas for next time or ask a question

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.