Thursday 1 July 2021

Matariki and Puanga Diagram

For the past few weeks, my class was learning about Matariki. We read 2 articles and 1 video about Matariki.We learnt that Matariki is when a cluster of 7 stars (7 sisters) come to our sky to show us the begining of the Maori New Year. Matariki is a important time for the Maori iwi (tribes) to come together and celebrate. It is also important  because it's a time where there is an abundant harvest.

For our reading task, we were learning to compare and contrast. This week, for comparing and contrasting, we listed the differences and similarities on a Venn Diagram on google slides, or on a piece of paper. We could also work with the people in our reading groups, and peers.

I found creating the space tricky. The slide was quite small, and the writing kept overflowing. Also remembering all the facts was also quite challenging.

I enjoyed creating the Venn Diagram, even though it was tricky to sort out the spacing and size of the circles and words. I enjoyed choosing a starry background for this period of Matariki the most. One background had more stars, the other background had less. I also enjoyed changing the font so it looked minimalistic.

What do you do with your Whanau to celebrate Matariki? Do you all come together and have a hangi, or do you do something else? Tell me in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. Kia Ora Camille,
    Happy Matariki and Puanga.
    Your Slideshow is very impressive and informative, I love how you have used the constellation of stars as your slideshow background. It is very eye-catching and easy to read with your text being white. You have done a great job comparing and contrasting these two celebrations.

    My Whānau and I celebrate Matariki by making new goals, cultivating and planting our vegetable garden. I would love for our whānau to have a hangi, but it is a lot of work. How does St Mary’s School celebrate Matariki? Do they celebrate Matariki?

    Mā te wā
    Miss Mikayla

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments:
Positive - something done well
Thoughtful - a sentence to let me know that you have read, watched or listened to my blog
Helpful - give some ideas for next time or ask a question

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.