Thursday 12 November 2020

Sour Sherbert Science!

 Today we were making a science experiment based off of physical change and chemical change. Physical change is something that can be changed and undone. Take ice as an example. You freeze water, which is a liquid it turns into a solid. This can be undone because of temperature. A chemical change is when something cannot be undone. For example, when you make a cake and cook it, there is no going back. 


For our experiment, we made sherbert. First, we each needed a teaspoon and a paper bag. We added 1/2 a teaspoon of  citrus acid  then 1 teaspoon of icing sugar, after that we put in 1/2 a teaspoon of flavouring (raro) to the mix. The final step was to add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda and we gave it a good shake and stir. And Tada! You have sherbert! (I think it's possible to make at home if you have all the ingredients.)


I found only the measuring hard. That's all I really found hard. Luckily, my friend (who is really good with maths and cooking) helped me measure the ingredients.   


The fun part was that we actually tasted the sherbert and we could take it home!


So the experiment was that we put a little bit of sherbert in our mouths and see what the chemical reaction is. I put about a 1/4 of a teaspoon of sherbert in my mouth and the sherbert started fizzing! I tried again with 1/2 a teaspoon of sherbert and got the same results, but more! That was our experiment.


Here are some slides that (hopefully) will help you understand physical change and chemical change.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments:
Positive - something done well
Thoughtful - a sentence to let me know that you have read, watched or listened to my blog
Helpful - give some ideas for next time or ask a question

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.